The Earth formed at about 4 billion years ago and the first continent is belived to appear at about 3.6 billion years ago. The cratons of Earth are in constant movement, continents have formed and broke apart many times in the past, to form the todays formation of 7 continent. This proces is hawever very slow and we may track it in 11 major checkpoint back to the first ever continent 3.6 billion years ago.
1. Vaalbara supercontinent 3.6 billion years ago, earliest supercontinent.
2. Ur supercontinent 3.1 billion billion years ago.
3. Kenorland supercontinent 2.72 billion years ago.
4. Arctica (Arctida) supercontinent 2.56 billion years ago.
5. Atlantica continent 2 billion years ago.
6. Columbia supercontinent 1.5 billion years ago.
7. Rodinia supercontinent 750 million years ago.
8. Pannotia supercontinent 650 million years ago.
9. Gondwana supercontinent 420 million years ago.
10. Pangaea supercontinent 330 million years ago.
11. Laurasia and Gondwana supercontinents 200 million years ago.
This geography learning game may answer the following questions:
- Which supercontinent appeared first?
- Is Pangea the oldest supercontinent?
- Are Gondwana and Laurasia the most recent supercontinents?
- Which is the first continent, that appeared on earth?