Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is truly one of the best games ever. All its remakes during the 21 century are awesome too, but once per year or two, I spend a week grinding AC Alien Crossfire, that brings unique feeling.
What I need to know to run the game:
- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - Alien Crossfire(expansion) is a 4x4 turn based strategy game from 1999, that take place on a strange fungal alien world.
- To make it run on your computer resolution, even on wide resolution screen monitors, paste the code in the commas "DirectDraw=0" in your Alpha Centauri.ini file, just under [Alpha Centauri] line.
- Windowed mode is almost impossible, some people runs the game twice, and close one of the applications to make it windowed but not always works.
What I need to know when starting new game:
- Play with Gaians, they can capture mind worms and isles of the deep.
- Make forests, all forests, forests are awesome with Tree Farm and Hybrid Forest buildings.
- Make the Weather Paradigm world wonder ASP, it allows to rise/lower terrain and drill for rivers and dig Boreholes.
- Dig Boreholes on squares that are not used by cities to avoid ECO damage and send Crawlers there to get the insane amount of minerals or energy.
- Explore fast to get more pods
- Save money to buy critical wonders.
- Do the population control well