American 1800s have been times of force and violence. Disputes have been settled with duels and gunfights and the vast new lands have been hiding place for many train robbers and outlaws. For a time lasting less than half a century, men and women have packed up their lives and headed west to find new freedom. The freedom found in the west contributed toward the American Dream for some, while others exploited this freedom and turned to a life of gambling, drinking, and gun fighting. The men who have tried to oppose them have been a hardy bunch too, and when confronting the wild people of the west, some of the greatest stories became legends. Here are some of the most popular outlaws:
1. Jesse James - Jesse Woodson James (September 5, 1847 – April 3, 1882) was an American outlaw, bank and train robber,guerrilla, and leader of the James–Younger Gang.
2. Frank James - Alexander Franklin James (January 10, 1843 – February 18, 1915) was a Confederate soldier,guerrilla, and outlaw. He was the older brother of outlaw Jesse James and was also part of the James–Younger Gang.
3. Laura Bullion - Laura Bullion (October 1876 – December 2, 1961) was an outlaw of the Old West. In the 1890s, LauraBullion was a member of Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch gang; her cohorts were fellow outlaws, including the SundanceKid, "Black Jack" Ketchum, and Kid Curry.
4. Black Jack - Tom Edward Ketchum (October 31, 1863 – April 26, 1901), known as Black Jack, was a cowboy who laterturned to a life of crime.
5. Bob Dalton - Robert Rennick Dalton (May 13, 1869 – October 5, 1892), better known as Bob Dalton, was
an American outlaw in the American Old West. He led the Dalton Gang.
6. Ike Clanton - Joseph Isaac Clanton (1847 – June 1, 1887) was a member of a loose association of outlaws known as The Cowboys.
7. Butch Cassidy - Robert Leroy Parker (April 13, 1866 – November 7, 1908), better known as Butch Cassidy, was an American train robber and bank robber, and the leader of a gang of criminal outlaws known as the "Wild Bunch" in the American Old West.
8. Billy the Kid - Billy the Kid (born Henry McCarty September 17 or November 23, 1859 – July 14, 1881, also known as William H. Bonney) was an American Old West outlaw and gunfighter. He took part in New Mexico's Lincoln County War.